Self-Guided Walk in Western Sicily
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund until 31 days before departure. Read more here.
With its volcanos, Greek theaters, stark mountains, gentle seas, fresh-caught fish and heady rich wines, Sicily encompasses the most variety of any of Italy’s regions. Wherever you turn you’ll discover evidence of the island’s 3,000 years of history as the strategic crossroads of Europe. Nowhere else have so many different cultures left such an enormous collective legacy, making of the island a vast open-air museum, a testament to nearly every Mediterranean civilization of the past. And its wonderful climate makes Sicily a great walking destination for much of the year. You’re sure to be allured by the charm of Italy’s most enchanting island.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: You arrive in Palermo, a magnificent city boasting a marvelous fusion of Byzantine, Arabic, Norman and Sicilian civilizations.
- Day two: Today you explore Palermo and nearby Monreale with its sumptuous cathedral, listed among the Unesco sites. Later in the day you are transferred to Scopello, the southern gateway to the Zingaro Reserve.
- Day three: Today’s walk takes you to the Riserva dello Zingaro, the first wildlife reserve in Sicily and undoubtedly one of its most spectacular locations. (8 km/5 miles)
- Day four: This morning’s walk takes you through the Riserva Naturale Orientata Monte Cofano finishing at an amazing bay lined with a wonderful beach — a wonderful possibility for a dip in the inviting Mediterranean Sea. Following is a short transfer to Erice where you spend the night. (9 km/5.7 miles)
- Day five: Today you explore the charming town of Erice, a medieval borgo perched on top of a hill 750 meters high with a magnificent 360 degree panorama. The path finishes in Trapani with breathtaking views on the town, as well as of the Isole Egadi. (choice between 8.5 or 14 km/5.3 or 8.7 miles)
- Day six: A 20-minute ferry ride takes you to Favignana, the largest and most important of the three Egadi islands just off the coast of Trapani. West of the main town is a large network of pathways with options to discover small inlets, caves, and pristine beaches. Lovers of fresh seafood will be in heaven. Afternoon return to Trapani (7.2 miles / 11,5 km)
- Day seven: We provide a private transfer back to Palermo, either to your hotel if you wish to spend another night or to the airport.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 5 days of walking
- breakfast each day
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a cell phone for emergencies
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.