Hiking in Abruzzo
5 nights — from USD2090
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund until 31 days before departure. Read more here.
From high mountains and forests to marvelous rural churches to the ruins of ancient cities to traditional artisans, Abruzzo offers many rewards. We focus our explorations on the National Park of Abruzzo, a haunt of wolves, bears, herds of chamois and some 300 varieties of birds. This is a serious hiking tour, for serious hikers who want to get out into the wilds of Italy, while still having a charming hotel to come to each night. You also visit the area’s medieval towns and villages, each with its own unique story, harboring gems little noted by the world beyond.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: You are met by your guide in Rome and transferred to Pescasseroli, your home for the next five nights. In the afternoon, you enjoy a warm-up hike to the quaint village of Opi.
- Day two: Today you hike with your guide to the Santuario di Monte Tranquillo and then, following a ridge to a mountain rifugio where you enjoy lunch. Afterwards, you hike back down to Pescasseroli.
- Day three: From the Valico di Barrea, you walk through a pine forest to Lago Vivo (Living Lake). After a rest, you return to your starting point through the Valle dell’Inferno (Hell’s Gorge).
- Day four: Today’s hike takes you through alpine pastures, with stupendous vistas of the Gran Sasso which, at 2912 m is the highest point in the Apennines.
- Day five: Your hike takes you through the Passo del Diavolo, frequented by wolves and bear. The likelihood of a sighting is not high, but walk softly and who knows?
- Day six: Your guide helps you on your way to your next destination with a transfer back to Rome.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, May through October. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.