Self-Guided Hiking in the Cinque Terre
6 nights — from USD1390
Please note that for this year (2021), due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund up to 15 days before departure. Read more here.
Our self-guided hike through the Cinque Terre takes you on a grand tour among the five villages of the Ligurian coast, famed for its blue skies, bluer seas and verdant coastline boasting breathtaking vistas. The full tour covers a continuous trail with a new leg each day. You set out from Portovenere, proceed through the Cinque Terre proper and finish in Levanto while following a maze of paths that offer some of the most extraordinary walks to be had in Italy. You can also opt to do just a portion of the walk. Either way, we provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your tour rep meets you in La Spezia (easily reached by train from Pisa, Florence, Rome or Milan). Depending on your arrival time, you transfer either to Campiglia or Marola, followed by a walk to Portovenere where you’ll be based for the next two nights.
- Day two: Today features a walk on the island of Palmaria which stands directly in front of Portovenere. The trail cuts along cliffs facing out over the open sea, with views up and down the coast.
- Day three: Starting in Campiglia, you contour along the coastal cliffs and through terraced vineyards to end in Riomaggiore, the southernmost village of the Cinque Terre proper.
- Day four: You continue your exploration of the Cinque Terre, picking up in Manarola and walking to the village of Corniglia with spectacular panoramas along the way.
- Day five: Today you walk from Monterosso to Vernazza, the northernmost village of the Cinque Terre. You’ll spend the next two nights here.
- Day six: Your final hike takes you from Monterosso to Levanto, north of the Cinque Terre, through cool pine forests perfect for a picnic.
- Day seven: You depart the Cinque Terre from Levanto train station. From here, you can easily reach all of Italy, including Florence, Rome and Milan.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 6 days of walking
- breakfast each day
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a smartphone for emergencies, equipped with GPS and walk coordinates
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- all transportation within the tour
- Cinque Terre Park Pass
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.