Self-Guided Walking in the Veneto
7 nights — from USD1490
Our self-guided Veneto walking holiday is a journey across the land of Andrea Palladio, famous for its magnificent architecture and softly rolling landscapes. The tour begins in Vicenza where you discover Palladio’s masterpieces. During the following days, you walk along farm tracks and trails through a variety of landscapes with panoramic views of the hills and valleys located at the foot of the Asiago Plateau. You stop overnight in villages and towns famous for their food and wine specialities. You can also opt to do just a portion of the walk. Either way, we will provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Arrive in Vicenza, recognized worldwide as the City of Palladio with 23 monuments by the great architect including the Basilica and the Teatro Olimpico. You can walk along Corso Palladio, the city center’s main thoroughfare, and immerse yourself in the elegant atmosphere that represents the true Vicenza spirit.
- Day two: Today features a ring walk through the countryside surrounding Vicenza. You pass Villa Valmarana ai Nani, famous for its extraordinary frescos by Tiepolo, as well Andrea Palladio’s most famous villa, La Rotonda. (Walking distance: 5.1 miles / 8,3 km â€“ climb total 750 ft / 230 m)
- Day three: You depart Vicenza by train for Thiene. Here you visit Villa Da Porto Colleoni and then walk through soft rolling wooded hills to the town of CarrÃ¨, where you will lodge overnight in an ancient villa. (Walking distance: 7.2 miles / 11,7 km â€“ climb total 790 ft / 240 m)
- Day four: From CarrÃ¨, you walk to Breganze, famous for the production of Vespaiolo wine. Along the way you pass through Lonedo di Lugo where Villa Godi Malinverni and Villa Piovene Porto Godi are situated side by side. (Walking distance: 8.6 miles / 14 km â€“ climb total 1410 ft / 440 m).
- Day five: Featured today is a glorious walk across a vast landscape of hillside vineyards between Breganze and Mason Vicentino. (Walking distance: 7.7 miles / 12,5 km â€“ climb total 1400 ft / 430 m).
- Day six: You set off for Marostica, a beautiful medieval town where a chess game is played with live characters every two years in September. (Walking distance: 7.4 miles/ 12 km â€“ climb total 1730 ft / 530 m).
- Day seven: Today’s walk takes you to Bassano del Grappa, a lively city on the Brenta River, set in a landscape whose climate favors the growing of olive trees. (Walking distance: 8.2 miles / 13,2 km â€“ climb total 2170 ft / 660 m).
- Day eight: You can choose whether to prolong your stay in Bassano del Grappa from which you can easily reach Venice, Padua and Trento by train, or else leave for your next destination.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 7 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 6 days of walking
- breakfast each day
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a smartphone for emergencies, equipped with GPS and walk coordinates
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.