Walking in Calabria
5 nights — from USD2190
The sparkling clear waters of the Ionian and Tyhrenian seas frame this fascinating land, steeped in a history that predates the Romans. Explore the lands and coastlines along which Ulysses once roamed, arriving at isolated villages where dialects of ancient Greek are still spoken. Ancient Byzantine monasteries and picturesque towns overlooking the Calabrian plains round out this fascinating tour.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: After arrival in Reggio Calabria, you visit the National Archeological Museum to see the Riace Warriors, unique bronze statues from the 5th Century B.C.. You also walk through the city and enjoy its Promenade, once called by a famous Italian poet “Italy’s most beautiful kilometer”.
- Day two: You walk around the fishermen’s village of Scylla, the same one mentioned in Homer’s Odyssey. Later you visit Tropea and Cape Vatican, popularly called “the Gods’ Coast”, where pristine white-sand beaches alternate with rocky coastlines.
- Day three: In the morning, you visit the Pentedattilo, an abandoned village on a hand-shaped rock, inhabited since Greek times. The surrounding area provides rich possibilities for walks in a wilderness inhabited by the descendants of the ancient Greeks who once settled here.
- Day four: Today’s highlights include Locria, which harbors the remains of one of Italy’s most important Magna Graecia cities, and Gerace, a medieval town packed with Byzantine churches and monasteries.
- Day five: The day includes visits to the Byzantine areas of Consolino and Bivongi with its Byzantine monastery, still inhabited by Greek-Orthodox monks.
- Day six: Your guide helps you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Reggio Calbria train station for easy connections to Rome.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.