Hiking the Ancient Trails of Molise
5 nights — from USD2390
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund until 31 days before departure. Read more here.
Molise is one of the best kept secrets of south central Italy. Inhabited by ancient peoples well before Roman times, it boasts a gently rolling landscape perfect for full day hikes. The region served as a thoroughfare for shepherds bringing their flocks from one side of Italy to the other. You follow the same trails through mountainous regions sprinkled with ancient beech forests, rural churches and hilltop towns. You also explore the Roman city of Saepinum, a virtually intact Roman town lovingly restored and well maintained. And throughout you are accompanied by a guide whose family roots in the region date back generations and whose deep appreciation of Molise is sure to affect you.
- Follow ancient paths used by shepherds for countless generations
- Explore the ruins of a remarkably preserved Roman city
- Enjoy stupendous vistas during full day hikes
- Savor the hearty cuisine and wines of the region
Depart From: Isernia, Molise
Finish In: Campobasso, Molise
Starting Dates: Any day, April through October
Fitness Rating: 3-4 (Ratings Explained)
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide meets you in Isernia for a tour of this archeological treasure boasting some of the earliest evidence of human ancestors in Europe.
- Day two: You hike today from Castel del Giudice along a track used by shepherds since ancient times. In the afternoon you visit Agnone, one of southern Italy’s richest cities of art.
- Day three: Today’s hike takes you from the fortified village of Vastogirardi to Bivio di Staffoli. Along the way, you explore the ruins of a pre-Roman military settlement. You also visit the charming village of Pietrabbondante (lit: “lots of rocks”).
- Day four: You enjoy a hike through the countryside of Frosolone, arriving at the geological formation called Morgia Quadra. Lakes dot the countryside here, making for beautiful vistas in every direction.
- Day five: You continue along the ancient shepherds’ trails, arriving in the Roman city of Saepinum, one of the best preserved in Italy.
- Day six: We help you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Campobasso. From here there are easy connections to Rome and elsewhere in Italy.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, April through October. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.