Walking in the Italian Lakes District
5 nights — from USD2190
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund up to 15 days before departure. Read more here.
Talk about romantic! The lakeside villas, elegant towns, and glacial lakes set among the magnificent alpine peaks of northern Italy are sure to take your breath away. This is a tour full of variety, from grand cable-car rides to walks on mountain meadows to boat cruises among islands brooded over by sumptuous mansions and palaces. And each town has its particular charm: Stresa’s flower-filled squares, Orta San Giulio’s narrow, cobblestone streets, Lugano’s cosmopolitan good looks, and Bellagio’s restful quays – a region long favored by European poets and artists.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide meets you in the morning in Milan for a transfer to the town of Orta San Giulio on the Lago d’Orta. After a walk through this charming village, you continue to Stresa, where you spend the next two nights.
- Day two: Today you walk to the top of Monte Mottarone, above Lago Maggiore, with excellent views of the Italian alps and the lakes below. In the afternoon, you visit the islands of Lago Maggiore, with their palaces, gardens and picturesque fishing villages.
- Day three: You transfer to the Swiss city of Lugano, for a tour of this cosmopolitan Swiss city. Later you hike to the top of nearby Monte Bre and walk along the bluffs overlooking Lugano. Afterwards, you continue to Lago di Como and the lakeside village of Bellagio, where you spend the next three nights.
- Day four: In the morning, you walk along ancient country lanes above Bellagio to find an astounding vista of the Lago di Como and its ring of high mountains. Energy permitting, you can enjoy a hike to Monte San Primo for a view as far as the Swiss Alps on a clear day.
- Day five: You start the day with a visit across the lake to Varenna and a walk to the Fiumelatte, a waterfall remarkable for its milk-white waters. Upon your return to Bellagio in the afternoon, you have time free for shopping and further exploration of Bellagio.
- Day six: We help you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Milan.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.