Self-Guided Walking in Puglia
7 nights — from USD1590
Puglia, the “heel” of Italy’s “boot” is a land of sunshine and hospitality. Boasting over two thousand years of history, its peoples include the ancient Greeks and the Romans, the Byzantines and the Normans, the Swabians and the Angevins. Over the course of this walking holiday, you’ll explore menhirs, cave churches, medieval castles, Baroque and Romanesque churches, noble palaces and historical residences, enchanted hamlets and art cities, charming masserie (“manor farms”) and casali (“rural homes”). The landscape itself is a marvel, with some 800 km (500 miles) of pristine coastline and a hinterland comprising expansive valleys and gentle hills covered with olive trees, vineyards and luxuriant forests — a perfect countryside in which to enjoy full day rambles followed by scrumptious meals brimming with the exceptional flavors of the south.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: You arrive in Bari on the coast of Puglia, where your tour rep meets you for a transfer to Trani. You have the rest of the day free to explore this picturesque port town.
- Day two: You walk from Gravina-in-Puglia to Altamura. Here you’ll find magnificent examples of Puglia’s Romanesque architecture, as well as a renowned — and scrumptious — local bread. (Walk distance: 12.5 miles/20 km)
- Day three: Following a transfer, you walk to Matera, capital of the Basilicata region. Explore here the Sassi district, the ancient part of Matera in which caves dug into the surrounding hills once served as houses and churches.
(Walk distance: 5.6 miles/9 km)
- Day four: You walk today from Alberobello, famous for its unique trulli constructions, to Locorotondo, which rests at the center of an excellent wine growing region. (Walk distance: 10 miles/16 km)
- Day five: Today’s walk takes you through a gently rolling landscape of grain and olive groves to the medieval town of Martina Franca filled with quaint white houses that wind their way up small, twisting streets. (Walk distance: 4.4 miles/7 km)
- Day six: You begin your walk with a descent into a beautiful valley and end it in the quaint village of Cisternino. Here you’ll discover a typical Pugliese paese with a charming old town center that has remained virtually intact for centuries. (Walk distance: 7.5 miles/12 km)
- Day seven: Your final walk brings you to the magical town of Ostuni, known as the White City for the whitewashed houses of its historic center, a tradition the inhabitants have maintained for centuries. (Walk distance: 10 miles/16 km)
- Day eight: You depart Puglia from the Ostuni train station. From here, you can easily reach all of Italy, including Florence, Rome and Milan. Or ask us about transfers, for instance to nearby Lecce, the “Florence of the South”.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 7 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 6 days of hiking
- breakfast each day
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a smartphone for emergencies, equipped with GPS and walk coordinates
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.