Hiking in Val d'Aosta's Gran Paradiso
6 nights — from USD2190
The National Park of the Gran Paradiso is exactly what its name implies – at least for hikers. Here you feel as if the heavens are truly within reach. Much of the pristine beauty in evidence everywhere you look is due to the courage and sacrifice of the mountain folk who have striven to preserve an uncontaminated territory to offer all mountain lovers. This spectacular hike includes a stay in Cogne, famous in Europe for its ski runs and in particular for the hospitality of the local people, old traditions, fine cuisine, amazing mountain trails – not to mention the deliciously strong local rendition of that spirit to beat all spirits: grappa!
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide meets you in Aosta, capital of Valle d’Aosta and brings you to Degioz, situated in the heart of the National Park where you stay for the next three nights. After lunch, you enjoy a warm up hike in the local forests.
- Day two: Today features a 6-7 hour hike with a 1000 meter total climb to the crystalline glacial lakes of Lago Djouan (2516m) and Lago Nero (2666m).
- Day three: After a short transfer to the fairy-tale wooden village of Nex Tignet (1664m), you follow an enchanting trail leading you to the high valley of Levionaz, an excellent setting in which to observe the park’s abundant wildlife.
- Day four: You start with a transfer to the other side of the park – to Cogne where you will stay the next three nights. After lunch, there is time to explore Cogne and enjoy a hike into the surrounding area.
- Day five: Today’s hike, the most challenging of the tour, starts from the small village of Valnontey (1666m) and brings you to the Rifugio Sella (2656m), halfway through the hike, surrounded by glaciers and dramatic high peaks.
- Day six: Another spectacular hike brings you from the village of Sylvenoire (1324m) to the impressive north side of the Grivola (considered by alpinists one of the most beautiful mountain of the Italian alps), and the high valley of Gran Nomenon.
- Day seven: In the morning, your guide helps you on your way to your next destination with a transfer back to Aosta.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast and dinner each day
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- wine and specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, June to September. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.