Walking in Eastern Sicily
6 nights — from USD2390
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund up to 15 days before departure. Read more here.
Volcanos, Greek theaters, stark mountains, gentle seas, fresh-caught fish, heady rich wines – Sicily has it all. Encompassing the most variety of any of Italy’s regions, Sicily also evidences the most contradictions. There’s something not quite European in the air – perhaps born upon the sirocco that often blows across the land. Or maybe it’s the hint of Saracen pirate in the waiter at the cafe, the fisherman on the dock, the maid at the hotel. Whatever it is, you can’t fail to be allured by the charm of Italy’s most enchanting island.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: You start the tour with one night in Catania, where we provide detailed directions for a self-guided walking tour of the historic center.
- Day two: After a transfer to Taormina, where you spend the next three nights, you have the option between a boat ride along the coast or a walk through the lush Alcantare River Valley. In the afternoon you enjoy a guided tour of Taormina’s Greek theater.
- Day three: Weather permitting, you visit the volcanic island of Vulcano, legendary home to the Roman god of fire. Afterwards, you visit the nearby island of Lipari.
- Day four: This morning’s walk takes you to Mt. Etna, Europe’s highest active volcano. In the afternoon, you explore some of the volcano’s isolated villages.
- Day five: Moving further south brings you to the necropolis of Pantalica and Syracuse, where you walk among the archeological areas. You spend the next two nights in Syracuse.
- Day six: Today you walk in the southernmost of all Italian reserves, the beautiful Vendicari nature reserve, a major resting place for migratory birds. Later, you visit the splendid baroque town of Noto.
- Day seven: Depending on your flight schedule, there is free time to visit the rest of Syracuse, followed by an included transfer to Catania airport.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- 5 guided walks with full-time, professional Tour Leader
- private tours hosted by local experts
- wine and specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.