Self-Guided Walking in Tuscany
7 nights — from USD1390
Our Self-Guided Tuscany walking tour is a more relaxed version of our hiking tour in the same region: the Val d’Orcia, famed for its hilltowns (like Pienza, Montalcino and Montepulciano) and for its breathtaking landscapes. You start the tour with a night in Siena and then walk in stages through the Val d’Orcia, with stops of two nights in Montalcino and San Quirico, and your final night in Montepulciano. You can also opt to do just a portion of the walk. Either way, we provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: You start in with arrival in Siena, arguably one of Italy’s most beautiful hilltowns, where there is plenty to do and see. You’ll not want to miss seeing the Campo, Siena’s remarkable central square, and the Duomo, with its stunning facade.
- Day two: Your tour rep arrives mid-day to bring you to Montalcino, where you enjoy a warm-up walk in the surrounding countryside, famous for the production of Brunello wine. (Walk distance: 3.5 miles/6 km – climb total: 1070 ft/330 m)
- Day three: Your walk today takes you to the small village of Castelnuovo dell’Abate, near which sits the beautiful romanesque church of Sant’Antimo, built of alabaster and travertine. You return to Montalcino for a second night. (Walk distance: 7.5 miles/12km – Climb total: 450 ft/150 m)
- Day four: From Montalcino, you walk to San Quirico, a small agricultural village filled with gardens and charming streets. (Walk distance: 8 miles/13 km – climb total: 580 ft/180 m)
- Day five: Today you enjoy a ring walk in the area of San Quirico and Rocca d’Orcia, passing through Bagno Vignoni, which is built around thermal springs in use since Roman times. (Walk distance: 8 miles/13 km – climb total: 1490 ft/460 m)
- Day six: You set off for Pienza, the hometown of the 15th C. Pope Pius II, whose experiments with urban renovation gave an impressive new face to this little town. (Walk distance: 5 miles/8 km – climb total: 980 ft/300 m)
- Day seven: Your last day of walking brings you from Pienza to Montepulciano, home to the Sangiovese Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. (Walk distance: 8.5 miles/13.5 km – climb total: 1070 feet/330 m)
- Day eight: We help you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Chiusi on the main Rome-Florence train line.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 7 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 6 days of walking
- breakfast each day
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a smartphone for emergencies, equipped with GPS and walk coordinates
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.