Walking in Puglia and Basilicata
5 nights — from USD2390
Fascinating and uncrowded, Puglia offers a host of attractions, including deserted Greek and Roman ruins, lively fishing villages, a chain of medieval hilltowns, and some of the cleanest beaches and water in the Mediterranean. It even boasts its own style of architecture, barocco leccese, featuring ornately carved facades on churches and palazzi which you’ll discover in the delightful city of Lecce. One other attraction you’ll see only in Puglia are the trulli, whitewashed cones of unmortared stone that serve as miniature barns. Explore all this and more on a walking tour through this magical landscape you’ll never forget.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide meets you upon your arrival in Bari and transfers you to Matera, an intriguing city of caves carved into the bare rock – the famous Sassi.
- Day two: In the morning you explore in depth the Sassi district with a local guide. After lunch, you walk to Matera’s belvedere to enjoy a splendid vista of the surrounding countryside.
- Day three: Today you transfer to Lecce – rightly known as the “Florence of the South” – at the heart of the Salento penninsula. Along the way, you visit Ostuni, the white city, and Alberobello, famous for the trulli (round houses with cone shaped roofs).
- Day four: After a guided tour of Lecce, you drive to Gallipoli and the nearby natural park of Portoselvaggio where you enjoy a walk to the crystal clear waters of the Ionian sea.
- Day five: Featured today is the town of Otranto, the easternmost point of Italy from which crusaders, pilgrims and merchants once departed for the far shores of the Mediterranean, including a walk in a nearby botanical reserve.
- Day six: After breakfast, your guide helps you on your way to the train station or airport with connections to Rome and Milan.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 1 dinner & 1 lunch
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.