Self-Guided Hiking in Tuscany's Maremma
7 nights — from USD1460
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund until 31 days before departure. Read more here.
Enjoy a self-guided hike through the Maremma region of Tuscany — the land of the ancient Etruscans — where you’ll explore hill-town gems such as Sorano, Sovana and Pitigliano. You start off in Orvieto, home to a magnificent cathedral, and finish near the tumbling hot springs of Saturnia. You can also opt to do just a portion of the walk. Either way, we provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
- Explore the hilltowns of Orvieto, Sorano and Pitigliano
- Take daily walks between and among the hilltowns
- Explore hidden villages and ancient sites like Borgo San Valentino, Vitozza, and the Vie Cave
- Enjoy great Tuscan cuisine and wines
Depart From: Orvieto
Finish In: Grosseto
Starting Dates: Any day, all year long
Fitness Rating: 4 (Ratings Explained)
“...amazing and special week...”
Thank you so much Luciano for all of your efforts and time customizing our amazing and special week through Tuscany. I will be doing a travel story to submit to several of the local publications in the Napa Valley. We have had many people ask us for your information. As a matter of fact I just received an email a few days ago from the owner of the B&B we stayed at in France who wants to do the walk with some friends next year. She saw are photos we posted on facebook and got very excited about Girosole. We hope to send others your way…
Dynie and Dana Sanderson
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: You start in Orvieto, which you can easily reach by train from Rome or Florence. After checking-in at your hotel, you are free to explore this fascinating city set upon sandstone bluffs. You can visit the underground excavations among Etruscan tombs and the 12th Century cathedral, or walk through the winding medieval streets.
- Day two: A morning transfer brings you to Borgo San Valentino, from where you start your walk to Sorano. Along the way, you pass through two “vie cave” — trails carved from the sandstone, built and used by the Etruscans. (Walk distance: 5 miles/8 km – climb total: 600 ft/200 m)
- Day three: Your walk today takes you from Sorano to San Quirico di Sorano. Your trail, which takes you along the Fiume Lente (lit. “slow river”), allows you to explore Vitozza, a cave settlement which was inhabited from Etruscan times until the end of the 18th century. It contains over 200 grottoes, as well as fortifications and the ruins of a church, making for a highly picturesque exploration. (Walk distance: 11 km / 7 miles Climb total: 150 m / 450 ft)
- Day four: After a transfer to Pitigliano, you take a ring walk in the surrounding countryside, which passes through two more “vie cave” and offers stupendous panoramas of the town and the charming landscapes within which it is set. (Walk distance: 5 miles/8 km – climb total: 700 ft/250 m)
- Day five: From Pitigliano, you proceed to Sovana along the ever present River Lente. Along the way, you discover the road of San Giuseppe, the ancient Etruscan road to Sovana. (Walk distance: 6 miles/10 km – climb total: 800 ft/250 m)
- Day six: Today, after a short transfer to San Martino, you walk to Saturnia, famous for its nearby thermal waterfalls and natural pools. Be sure to bring along a swimsuit if a dip sounds good! (Walk distance: 7 miles/11 km – climb total: 600 ft/200 m)
- Day seven: The day starts with a ring walk from Saturnia through the wonderful countryside of the Maremma region. Come in May and you’ll see fields full of red poppies, or in July with sunflowers. (Walk distance: 5 miles/8 km – climb total: 1200 feet/400 m)
- Day eight: We help you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Grosseto, from which an easy train ride brings you to Rome, Pisa or Florence.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 7 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 5 days of walking
- breakfast each day
- GPS app with walk coordinates and emergency contact
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
“...extremely well done...”
The walking tour of Maremma could not have been better. We both thought that the itinerary was well thought out with lots of sites to visit along the way each day en-route to the final destination. I thought that the detailed description of each day’s hike was extremely well done and we can boast that we never once took a wrong turn thanks to the directions.
Each hotel in which we stayed was comfortable, the hosts were pleasant and helpful, and the setting in most was spectacular. We particularly liked the first hotel in Sorano but our favourite night was the night in Pitigliano. The view was spectacular and the host and staff were the absolute best.
We are already talking about returning in two years to do the other Tuscany tour to see another part of the country. We do hope you will stay in touch and if there is anything that we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.