Self-Guided Hiking in Tuscany's Maremma
7 nights — from USD1460
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund until 31 days before departure. Read more here.
Enjoy a self-guided hike through the Maremma region of Tuscany — the land of the ancient Etruscans — where you’ll explore hill-town gems such as Sorano, Sovana and Pitigliano. You start off in Orvieto, home to a magnificent cathedral, and finish near the tumbling hot springs of Saturnia. You can also opt to do just a portion of the walk. Either way, we provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: You start in Orvieto, which you can easily reach by train from Rome or Florence. After checking-in at your hotel, you are free to explore this fascinating city set upon sandstone bluffs. You can visit the underground excavations among Etruscan tombs and the 12th Century cathedral, or walk through the winding medieval streets.
- Day two: Your walk today takes you from Sorano to Pitigliano along the Fiume Lente (lit. “slow river”), which allows you to explore Vitozza, a cave settlement which was inhabited from Etruscan times until the end of the 18th century. (Walk distance: 16 km / 10 miles – climb total: 270 m / 880 ft)
- Day three: A ring walk in the countryside surrounding Pitigliano passes through two more Vie Cave and offers stupendous panoramas of the town and the charming landscapes within which it is set. (Walk distance: 11 km / 7 miles Climb total: 250 m / 820 ft)
- Day four: From Pitigliano, you proceed to Sovana along the ever present River Lente. Along the way, you discover the road of San Giuseppe, the ancient Etruscan road to Sovana. (Walk distance: 10 km / 6 miles – climb total: 250 m / 820 ft)
- Day five: Today, you enjoy a ring walk through the rolling countryside around Sovana, along the way passing through the Etruscan necropolis of Sovana. (Walk distance: 12 km / 7.5 miles – climb total: 180 m / 590 ft
- Day six: After a short transfer to San Martino, you walk to Saturnia, famous for its nearby thermal waterfalls and natural pools. Be sure to bring along a swimsuit if a dip sounds good! (Walk distance: 11 km / 7 miles – climb total: 200 m / 660 ft)
- Day seven: The day starts with a ring walk from Saturnia through the wonderful countryside of the Maremma region. Come in May and you’ll see fields full of red poppies, or in July with sunflowers. (Walk distance: 8 km / 5 miles – climb total: 400 m / 1310 feet)
- Day eight: We help you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Grosseto, from which an easy train ride brings you to Rome, Pisa or Florence.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 7 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 5 days of walking
- breakfast each day
- GPS app with walk coordinates and emergency contact
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.