Walking in Umbria
5 nights — from USD2090
Please note that for this year (2021), due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund up to 15 days before departure. Read more here.
Umbria is often described as “Italy’s green heart” and its gentle hills are peppered with charming hilltop towns and villages where you can enjoy beautiful views of the sunny countryside. It exudes an almost serene sense of spirituality, perhaps as a result of the thousands of pilgrims who, over the centuries, have walked through its green valleys to pay homage to St. Francis of Assisi. Today, Assisi is still an important pilgrimage center. South of Assisi, the magical Vale of Spoleto conceals many traditional hamlets, villages and farms, offering superb walking through some of the most picturesque scenery in the region.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide meets you upon your arrival in Spoleto and transfers you to your hotel, after which you enjoy a guided walk into the hills above Spoleto for a stunning view of the Val di Spoleto. Later, you explore the town itself, enjoying its alimentari (food shops) selling all manner of locally-produced delicacies.
- Day two: In the morning, you walk through lush and fertile farmlands to Castel Ritaldi, a picturesque little medieval town. In the afternoon, you begin an exploration of some of the local wineries.
- Day three: Your guided walk today takes you through the impressive ruins of a Roman city, accompanied by an archeologist. After lunch, you explore the hilltown of Narni, also founded by the Romans.
- Day four: This morning’s walk takes you from Montefalco to the pretty hilltown of Bevagna, practically untouched since medieval times. You then continue to Assisi, birthplace of St. Francis and a major pilgrimage site for over 700 years.
- Day five: You start the day with a walk to the Eremo dei Carceri above Assisi. Afternoon brings you to Deruta to visit the ceramics workshops and to Spello to admire the gorgeous frescos in the town’s main church.
- Day six: You depart Umbria from the Assisi train station. From here, you can easily reach all of Italy, including Florence, Rome and Milan.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- private tours hosted by local experts
- wine and specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.