Walking along the Cinque Terre
5 nights — from USD1990
Please note that for this year (2021), due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund up to 15 days before departure. Read more here.
Between blue skies and bluer seas rests the verdant coastline of the Cinque Terre. Enjoy the colorful fishing villages, the outstanding food and wine, the fascinating history and vibrant culture of this captivating corner of Italy. Numberless generations of simple fishermen and farmers have carved from the seaside cliffs a stunningly beautiful garden landscape. With every inch of space at a premium, the houses appear to be built one atop the other, and the terraced vineyards and olive groves, connected with a maze of paths, offer some of the most extraordinary walks to be had in Italy.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide meets you in Monterosso (easily reached by train from Pisa, Florence, Rome or Milan). Following an orientation tour of Monterosso, where you’ll be based for the next few days, you walk to Vernazza, the next fishing village down along the coast.
- Day two: Today features a guided walk from Monterosso to Levanto, north of the Cinque Terre, with spectacular views up and down the coastline. After exploring this town, you return to Monterosso by train.
- Day three: You continue your exploration of the Cinque Terre, picking up where you left off in Vernazza and walking down to Riomaggiore, the southernmost village. Along the way you pass through the villages of Corniglia, Volastra with its spectacular wineyards, and Manarola.
- Day four: Today you walk from Riomaggiore along the spine of mountains forming the peninsula of the Cinque Terre, arriving finally at Portovenere, with views over the romantically named Gulf of Poets.
- Day five: You begin the day with a train ride to Santa Margherita Ligure for a guided walk to Portofino. After lunch, there’s time to explore the shops and sights of this gracious harbor. Return to Santa Margherita is by boat, allowing for a splendid view of the rugged coastline.
- Day six: You depart the Cinque Terre from the Monterosso train station. From here, you can easily reach all of Italy, including Florence, Rome and Milan.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.