Hiking in the Sibillini Mountains
6 nights — from USD2990
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund up to 15 days before departure. Read more here.
The names are as picturesque as the places themselves: the Gola dell’Infernaccia (“Throat of Bad Hell”), the Grotta delle Fate (“Cave of the Fairies”), and La Pisciarella (better left untranslated here). The food is good, too, based on old family traditions. And the walking is stunning, along twisting trails, through deep gorges, up to the highest peaks – a mountainous landscape steeped in legends of witches and oracles, with a blood-tinted lake (in which Pilatus is said to have bled to death) and a remote cave in which the Sibilla held court – a woman with magical powers after whom these fabulous mountains were named.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: We meet in Foligno and transfer to our lodgings in a tiny mountain town overlooking the deep gorges of the Sibillini. After a walk along the forested paths surrounding the village, we enjoy a Welcome Dinner together.
- Day two: We strike out from the sanctuary of the Madonna dell’Ambro, soon passing by the tiny shepherds’ village of Prato Porfidia – the only example of its kind in the Sibillini. Our trail hugs the sides of the Val d’Ambro, passing through woods and meadows and opening to views of the rugged mountains around us.
- Day three: Today we visit the Gola dell’Infernaccia – not as dire as its name might suggest, but impressively savage-looking all the same. Our trail follows the small, cascading creek that over time has dug this deep channel out of the bare rock. Along the way, we pass the hermitage of San Leonardo, restored single-handedly by a monk who still lives there and who is looked upon as a saint by many of the locals.
- Day four: Our walk takes us deep into the heart of the Sibillini and its legends of magic. We ascend the Monte Sibilla, near the Grotta delle Fate, which once was believed to speak to its visitors. The very mountains surrounding us, with their primeval roughness, seem themselves to speak of these ancient legends.
- Day five: We start from the little village of Foce immersed in an alpine valley. We ascend deeper into the ravine, ascending to the Lago di Pilatus – so named because its waters are tinted blood-red. Here, witches used to come to dance at night. We, instead, have a picnic.
- Day six: Our walk brings us to Monte Vettore, the highest point in the Sibillini. From here, we have a vast view across the Sibillini as well as across the rolling landscape of Le Marche – a view that does much to explain why these mountains have long exercised themselves upon the imaginations of their human neighbors.
- Day seven: We help you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Foligno. From here, Florence or Rome are easy to reach.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast, lunch and dinner each day
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided hikes each day
- wine and specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group’s size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, June through September. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.