Self-Guided Hiking in Umbria
7 nights — from USD1460
Due to the myriad uncertainties created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed our booking and cancellation policies to a USD50 per person deposit with cancellation and full refund until 31 days before departure. Read more here.
Our self-guided Umbria hiking tour (a more challenging version of our Umbria self-guided walk) takes you through Italy’s “green heart”. You start in the fascinating medieval town of Spoleto and end in Assisi, the birthplace of St. Francis. Along the way, you pass through the villages of Trevi which commands one of the best views in Umbria; Montefalco, famous for its sagrentino red wine; and Bevagna, a spa town since Roman times. Near Assisi your walks include some of the sites special to St. Francis. And throughout the tour, we provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: After arrival in Spoleto, you have time to explore the town, one of Umbria’s finest hilltop towns. The focal point is the fan-shaped Piazza del Duomo, site of the magnificent 12th century cathedral.
- Day two: Featured today is a ring walk in the hills above Spoleto with views down the Val di Spoleto as far as Assisi. (Walk distance: 6.2 miles/10km – climb total: 1690 ft/520 m)
- Day three: You walk to the village of Poreta, famous for its ancient castle which walls were built in the 15th century to protect its inhabitants from bands of brigands. (Walk distance: 9.5 miles/15km – climb total: 625 ft/190 m)
- Day four: Today’s walk takes you to Trevi which was built in the Roman era near the Via Flaminia and the banks of the Clitunno river. The ancient town is also known as the City of Olives due to the many olive oil farms that spread outside the city walls. (Walk distance: 8 miles/13km – climb total: 1640 ft/500 m)
- Day five: Today, you walk to Montefalco, heart of Umbrian wine production which sits atop its hill overlooking the vineyards. In Montefalco you’ll find an excellent museum in the Church of San Francesco. (Walk distance: 7.5 miles/12km – climb total: 1020 ft/310 m)
- Day six: Walking through gently rolling Umbrian countryside, you arrive in Bevagna, an ancient Roman settlement famous for the curative qualities of the local waters. (Walk distance: 5.5 miles/9km – climb total: 330 ft/100 m)
- Day seven: Today’s walk starts from the old walled town of Spello known since Roman times and takes you past the Eremo dei Carceri, a favorite hermitage of St. Francis. Afterwards, you walk to Assisi, with wonderful views over the city on the approach. (Walk distance: 9 miles/15km – climb total: 2900 ft/880 m)
- Day eight: A brief taxi ride (not included) brings you to the Assisi train station, from which you can reach Rome or Florence by train, or Siena by bus.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 7 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 6 days of walking
- 7 breakfasts
- GPS app with walk coordinates and emergency contact
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, March through November. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.