Self-Guided Hiking in Umbria
6 nights — from USD1390
Our self-guided Umbria hiking tour (a more challenging version of our Umbria self-guided walk) takes you through Italy’s “green heart”. You start in the fascinating medieval town of Spoleto and end in Labro, a tiny hilltop village near the Latium border. Along the way, you walk through a varied landscape of ancient villages perched on wooded hillsides and pristine mountain pastures. And also along the way, we provide you with all the tools you need to put your spirit of adventure into action.
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: After arrival in Spoleto, you have time to explore the town, one of Umbria’s finest hilltop towns. The focal point is the fan-shaped Piazza del Duomo, site of the magnificent 12th century cathedral.
- Day two: Featured today is a ring walk in the hills above Spoleto with views down the Val di Spoleto as far as Assisi. (Walk distance: 6.2 miles/10km – climb total: 1690 ft/520 m)
- Day three: You start the day with a transfer to Scheggino, a sleepy medieval village. Passing through ancient woodlands and along medieval stone footpaths you arrive at the Abbey of San Pietro. (Walk distance: 11 miles/17.8km – climb total: 620 ft/190 m)
- Day four: You enjoy a ring walk today that takes you through Umbriano, a now abandoned castle that was once of great strategic importance due to its dominance over the river valley below its walls. (Walk distance: 4 miles/6.5km – climb total: 700 ft/220 m)
- Day five: After a transfer to Ferentillo, you walk through the fortified village of Arrone to the lake of Piediluco, a hidden gem in southern Umbria. You finish in Labro , a hilltop village on the border with Latium. (Walk distance: 10.5 miles/17km – climb total: 520 ft/160 m)
- Day six: Today’s walk takes you through the forested countryside around Labro. Along the way, you pass by a gnarled, ancient beech tree, said to be the place where Saint Francis took his rest during his journeys between Umbria and Rome. (Walk distance: 5 miles/8km – climb total: 1700 ft/530 m)
- Day seven: We help you on your way to your next destination with a ride the Terni train station, from which you can easily reach Rome, Florence or points beyond.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 5 days of walking
- 6 breakfasts, 2 picnic lunches, 2 dinners
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a smartphone for emergencies, equipped with GPS and walk coordinates
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, March through November. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information. Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.