Walking in Lazio's Ciociaria
5 nights — from USD2090
Welcome to the Italy of folklore and deep traditions, well away from the common tourist circuits: the Ciociaria region south of Rome, north of Naples. Among the heart-felt hospitality of these generous folk, you will experience an absolutely unique experience, putting you in touch with the real Italian life. With your own local guide - Francesca, whose family hails back generations in this region - you'll uncover the deep roots left by the ancient Italic populations before the advent of Roman culture. At the same time, following evocative trails, you'll discover a fascinating natural world and important sacred spots.
- Explore ancient Italic (pre-Roman) sites
- Visit the towns of Anagni, Alatri and the National Park of Abruzzo
- Meet local artisans continuing the ancient traditional crafts
- Enjoy the rustic country cuisine of the Ciociaria
|Depart From: Rome||Finish In: Rome|
|Starting Dates:||Any day, all year long|
|Fitness Rating:1-4||Ratings Explained...|
“...like members of the family...”
Francesca and her family were wonderful: they made us feel not only like members of the family, but like friends, too. It was as though we were the non-Italian-speaking American cousins, come back to be squired around the high points of the ancestral homeland. (And what a remarkable thing it is to have dined so well and to have gained no weight!)
— Bill and Karen Witt
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide picks you up in Rome and brings you to Anagni, the city of four popes, where you discover the ancient and difficult art of engraving. Afterwards, you continue to Furnone, where you spend the next two nights.
- Day two: You walk to the Certosa of Trisulti, a monastery where you enjoy a privately guided tour by one of the monks. Later, you visit Alatri to admire the town's imposing acropolis and megalithic walls.
- Day three: Today's walk brings you to Pescasseroli, a characteristic village in the National Park of Abruzzo. Here there are local handicrafts and traditional sweets to enjoy.
- Day four: You further explore the National Park with a walk to Opi, where daily life is still very much tied up to the mountains. In the afternoon, you learn the secrets of making pecorino cheese (sheep's cheese) and ricotta.
- Day five: Featured today is an immersion in Italian daily life, visiting with your guide's family and preparing supper the true Italian way.
- Day six: Your guide helps you on your way towards your next destination with a transfer back to Rome.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast and dinner each day
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group's size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
|accomm. level||2-3 p||4-5 p||6+ p||sing. supp.|
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Arpino, the birthplace of Cicero
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information.
Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.