Umbria Self-Guided Walking Tour
Explore the trails between Spoleto and Assisi
Our self-guided Umbria walking tour (an easier walk than our more challenging self-guided Umbria hike) takes you from the fascinating medieval town of Spoleto to Assisi, the birthplace of St. Francis. Along the way, you pass through the villages of Montefalco, famous for its sagrentino red wine and Bevagna, a spa town since Roman times. Near Assisi your walks include some of the sites special to St. Francis. And throughout the tour, we provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
- Explore the hilltowns of Spoleto and Assisi
- Take daily walks through a varied terrain in Umbria's Val di Spoleto
- Discover the picturesque villages of Montefalco and Bevagna
- Enjoy great Umbrian cuisine and wines
At A Glance
Self-Guided Umbria Walk
6 days / 5 nights
Any day of the week, March through November
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: After arrival in Spoleto, you have time to explore the town, one of Umbria’s finest hilltop towns. The focal point is the fan-shaped Piazza del Duomo, site of the magnificent 12th century cathedral.
- Day two: Featured today is a ring walk in the hills above Spoleto with views down the Val di Spoleto as far as Assisi. (10 km)
- Day three: You start the day with a transfer to the hamlet of Fabbri in the wine country surrounding Montefalco. From here you continue on foot through the vineyards and olive groves to Montefalco.(8km)
- Day four: Today's walk brings you to Bevagna, an ancient Roman settlement famous for the curative qualities of the local waters. (8 km)
- Day five: Today you walk from the Abbey of San Benedetto to the Hermitage of the Carceri above Assisi, continuing from here down to into Assisi itself. (12km)
- Day six: Walking out of Assisi, you enjoy a ring walk taking you Santa Maria degli Angeli, where the Franciscan movement was born. (9 km)
- Day seven: From Assisi you can easily reach Rome or Florence by train, or Siena by bus.
“...a wonderful experience...”
It was a wonderful trip in all ways.
Accommodations were wonderful, tours well planned, transfers smooth.
All in all a wonderful experience! We'd definitely go again.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 5 days of walking
- Breakfast each day
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a cell phone for emergencies
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- all taxes and service charges at hotels
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group's size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
|accomm. level||2-3 p||sing. supp.|
View of Spoleto
Italy's "Green Heart" Beneath Blue Skies
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information.
Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.