Self-Guided Hiking in Umbria
6 nights — from USD1390
Our self-guided Umbria hiking tour (a more challenging version of our Umbria self-guided walk) takes you through Italy's "green heart". You start in the fascinating medieval town of Spoleto and end in Labro, a tiny hilltop village near the Latium border. Along the way, you walk through a varied landscape of ancient villages perched on wooded hillsides and pristine mountain pastures. And also along the way, we provide you with all the tools you need to put your spirit of adventure into action.
- Explore the hilltowns of Spoleto and the Valnerina river valley
- Take daily walks through a varied terrain
- Overnight in a 12th century abbey, now a beautiful hotel
- Explore the villages of Scheggino, Ferentillo and Labro
- Enjoy great Umbrian cuisine and wines
|Depart From: Spoleto||Finish In: Spoleto|
|Starting Dates:||Any day, all year round|
|Fitness Rating:4||Ratings Explained...|
“...many wonderful little spots...”
We loved the Umbria Hiking tour and are planning to return to Spoleto next year. The first walk through Monteluco was really enjoyable as was the day after that with many wonderful little spots to enjoy and reflect on the beauty. The final day was spectacular and one of the most enjoyable for us. We managed to get some beautiful photos.
— Amanda and Ron Gruhn
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: After arrival in Spoleto, you have time to explore the town, one of Umbria's finest hilltop towns. The focal point is the fan-shaped Piazza del Duomo, site of the magnificent 12th century cathedral.
- Day two: Featured today is a ring walk in the hills above Spoleto with views down the Val di Spoleto as far as Assisi. (10 km)
- Day three: You start the day with a transfer to Scheggino, a sleepy medieval village. Passing through ancient woodlands and along medieval stone footpaths you arrive at the Abbey of San Pietro. (17km)
- Day four: You enjoy a ring walk today that takes you through Umbriano, a now abandoned castle that was once of great strategic importance due to its dominance over the river valley below its walls. (7km)
- Day five: After a transfer to Ferentillo, you walk through the fortified village of Arrone to the lake of Piediluco, a hidden gem in southern Umbria. You finish in Labro , a hilltop village on the border with Latium. (14km)
- Day six: Today's ring walk takes you through the forested countryside around Labro. Along the way, you pass by a gnarled, ancient beech tree, said to be the place where Saint Francis took his rest during his journeys between Umbria and Rome. (8km)
- Day seven: We help you on your way to your next destination with a ride the Terni train station, from which you can easily reach Rome, Florence or points beyond.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 5 days of walking
- 6 breakfasts, 2 picnic lunches, 2 dinners
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a cell phone for emergencies
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group's size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
|accomm. level||2+ p||sing. supp.|
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, March through November. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
“...magical and fun...”
We had a fantastic time and will be looking at your tours again for next year. It was great that you were so flexible, given our ever- changing needs. Everyone who served us on the trip, including the hotel owners and staff, was extremely helpful, friendly and responsive.
The directions were clear and easy to understand; we particularly enjoyed the style of the writer, obviously an educated person with a British background. The clarity and care of the writing was much appreciated.
We consistently received more than expected: more hospitality, more fun, and more friendliness from the owners of all the hotels.
It is certainly one of the best holidays that I can remember, and we will very likely be in touch again next year.
Thanks for everything Luciano, and thank Luca too for all his help.
— Franca Leeson
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information.
Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.