Self-Guided Walking in Sicily
6 nights — from USD1490
Enjoy a self-guided walk along the eastern seaboard of Sicily -- including Europe's highest, active volcano: Mount Etna. In this region, once home to the ancient Greeks, you'll explore gems like Siracusa and Taormina. You start off in Noto, from which you take an excursion to the nearby Vendicari Nature Reserve, and finish in Taormina, having walked through the Alcantara River Gorge, which straddles the divide between two continental plates. You can also opt to do just a portion of the walk. Either way, we provide you with all the tools you need to help you put your spirit of adventure into action.
- Explore the towns of Siracusa, Noto and Taromina
- Hike on Mt. Etna with a special guided tour
- Explore Sicily's natural settings like the Vendicari Narure Reserve
- Enjoy great Sicilian cuisine and wines
|Depart From: Catania||Finish In: Catania|
|Starting Dates:||Any day, all year long|
|Fitness Rating:2-4||Ratings Explained...|
“...an awesome experience...”
This was an awesome experience. Everything went off as they described. The accommodations, food, wine, directions, maps, were outstanding. Francesco, our tour rep, was attentive to our every need. He should get a raise in salary. I can't imagine doing Sicily any other way. During the day we walked though coastal towns, beaches, river "GOLES", Mt Etta..... Francesco even arraigned for MT. Etta to erupt the day after our visit!!!! Each night my wife and I arrive to a new beautiful villa or hotel and were served and treated like royalty.
— Lonnie (Orlando) Manai
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Upon your arrival at Catania airport, you receive a private transfer to the area of Noto. If your arrival schedule permits, you can stop along the way in Siracusa to tour this world class archeological site.
- Day two: This morning's walk takes you to the southernmost of all Italian reserves, the nearby Vendicari Nature Reserve, a major resting place for migratory birds set along the coastline. (12.5 KM)
- Day three: This day is fully dedicated to the Etna region with a guided hike (no self-guided option due to the risks associated with hiking on a volcano). This volcano adventure can be modified according to your fitness skills. (distance depends on trail you choose with your guide)
- Day four: Today's trail takes you to the Alcantara River Valley, a series of deep rocky valleys splashed with waterfalls and prismatic rocks. (7.5-10.5km, depending on trail chosen)
- Day five: From Graniti, near the Alcantara River, you walk along a beautiful path with superb views across Nebrodi and Peloritani Mountains ending in Castelmola. (The full walk is 14.5km long, but can be shortened by starting closer to the destination with the minimum walk being 8.5km long)
- Day six: On your final walk, starting from Castelmola, you enjoy the old fisherman pathway that goes from the Belvedere square in Taormina to the coastal road overlooking the bay of Isola Bella. (9.5km for the full round trip walk or 8km if you decide to go back to Taormina by the cable-car).
- Day seven: We help you on your way to your next destination with a transfer to Catania airport.
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 6 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- 5 days of walking
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners (day 1 and day 3)
- detailed maps and route descriptions
- a descriptive guide of the various sites to see
- a cell phone for emergencies
- a Tour Rep to oversee your tour and move your luggage each day
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group's size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
|accomm. level||2-3 p||4-5 p||6+ p||sing. supp.|
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
“...above and beyond the call of duty...”
Everything thing went smoothly. At no point did the arrangements falter; our luggage was always where we expected it to be, we were always picked up on time, and Francesco really went above and beyond the call of duty, especially with regard to some unexpected baggage problems. When we arrived on the first evening on the Vueling flight from Florence to Catania, our luggage did not arrive with us. In fact, the airline had removed everyone's luggage from the plane in order to lighten the weight, but we did not know until we landed. Then it was rather chaotic but eventually we learned that the luggage would arrive anytime within the next five days. Francesco took us to a mall so we could shop for the necessary items including hiking boots and bathing suits. The luggage finally arrived to our hotel on Sunday morning. Francesco was the one who kept in touch with the airport, went there to pick it up, and had it delivered by our Etna guide on Sunday morning. I don't know how we would have managed this whole situation without him.
— Adele Reinhartz
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information.
Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.