Walking along the Cinque Terre
Enjoy the seascapes of the famous "five lands"
Between blue skies and bluer seas rests the verdant coastline of the Cinque Terre. Enjoy the colorful fishing villages, the outstanding food and wine, the fascinating history and vibrant culture of this captivating corner of Italy. Numberless generations of simple fishermen and farmers have carved from the seaside cliffs a stunningly beautiful garden landscape. With every inch of space at a premium, the houses appear to be built one atop the other, and the terraced vineyards and olive groves, connected with a maze of paths, offer some of the most extraordinary walks to be had in Italy.
- Walk along the entire coast of the Cinque Terre
- Explore the fishing villages and mountain hamlets along the way
- Visit the towns of Portofino and Santa Margherita Ligure
- Enjoy Ligurian specialties and the excellent local wines
At A Glance
Walking in the Cinque Terre
6 days / 5 nights
Any day of the week, all year long
Here is an outline of a suggested daily itinerary. You can shorten or lengthen this tour to fit your travel dates. For further information, please request a detailed itinerary.
- Day one: Your guide meets you in Monterosso (easily reached by train from Pisa, Florence, Rome or Milan). Following an orientation tour of Monterosso, where you'll be based for the next few days, you walk to Vernazza, the next fishing village down along the coast.
- Day two: Today features a guided walk from Monterosso to Levanto, north of the Cinque Terre, with spectacular views up and down the coastline. After exploring this town, you return to Monterosso by train.
- Day three: You continue your exploration of the Cinque Terre, picking up where you left off in Vernazza and walking down to Riomaggiore, the southernmost village. Along the way you pass through the villages of Corniglia, Volastra with its spectacular wineyards, and Manarola.
- Day four: Today you walk from Riomaggiore along the spine of mountains forming the peninsula of the Cinque Terre, arriving finally at Portovenere, with views over the romantically named Gulf of Poets.
- Day five: You begin the day with a train ride to Santa Margherita Ligure for a guided walk to Portofino. After lunch, there's time to explore the shops and sights of this gracious harbor. Return to Santa Margherita is by boat, allowing for a splendid view of the rugged coastline.
- Day six: Your guide helps you to the Monterosso train station. From here, you can easily reach all of Italy, including Florence, Rome and Milan.
“...an amazing tour guide...”
We had a wonderful time and loved Michelangelo. He was an amazing tour guide. Michelangelo's mom made us two wonderful dinners. Michelangelo is really flexible, funny, and accommodating. He was the perfect host. He is also extremely knowledgeable. He made the tour really fun. We had such a great time that we didn't want to go home. We would highly recommend this tour to anyone. The entire vacation was so great that I had post-vacation depression when I came back!!
Kamala and Derek Hill
We suggest the following inclusions based on the proposed itinerary (above) and prices (below). Keep in mind that you can modify these as per your own preferences.
- 5 nights accommodation with en-suite facilities
- breakfast each day
- 2 dinners
- full-time, professional Tour Leader
- guided walks each day
- wine and specialty foods tastings
- paid entrance to all included activities
- all land transfers to and from tour area, and during tour
- travel guidance for pre/post-tour activities
(Not included are airfare, wine and other beverages with alcohol, personal purchases such as laundry, phone calls, frigobar items etc., and anything not specifically included above.)
We price this tour for the following categories of accommodation. We also tier-price based on your group's size. You can keep your tour private to your own group or you can open your tour for other travelers to join, thereby taking advantage of our tier discounts. Single Supplements (sing. supp.) are charged on single occupancy rooms only. All prices are quoted per person in USD.
|accomm. level||2-3 p||4-5 p||6+ p||sing. supp.|
“...only the highest praise...”
Monica & I had a wonderful time in Italy. We have only the highest praise for the tour you arranged for us. All the accommodations that you arranged for us were great. Also, the scenery on our hikes in the Cinque Terre were so spectacular that there is hardly words to describe them. But probably the best of all, and what really made the trip memorable, was Michelangelo. He really is a special person, and made us feel like family.I really don't have any recommendations on how you could have done any better. Just keep doing what you did so wonderfully for us. All the best,
Eric & Monica
Fishing villages perched above the sea
You can schedule this tour to start on any day of the week, all year long. As with all our tours, you tell us the dates you would like to start your tour, allowing you the maximum in flexibility and convenience (full explanation).
Write to us using the form below, and we'll send you the detailed itinerary for this tour and other relevant information.
Or proceed to our booking area to book this tour now.